Sunday, December 8, 2013

The fear of heights

At Pico Blanco near Escazu, Costa Rica, December 7, 2013.  From front to back: Danielle Markham, Katrina Befus, Lynnea Befus, Kristin Markham, Bradley Markham
In 1990, as part of an inspection process, I climbed to the top of the South Texas Unit 2 Reactor Containment Building to get a close up look at a ring header containing numerous flow nozzles. The trek to the top of the 225' building included a section of a rung ladder that was not enclosed in a cage.  I became a little nervous, but completed the climb up to the very top section which was quite well protected.  After we had inspected the header, we made our way down, and once again I experienced the nervousness that had accompanied the climb to the top. From that moment forward, I developed a rather healthy fear of heights that made it difficult for me to drive over high bridges or climb up exposed stairs or ladders.  To sum it up, if I was up high and there was a observable risk of falling, I was had.  As an example, when we visited Colorado Springs a few years ago, I could not make the drive up Pike's Peak.  I had to cry out "Vickie, take the wheel!"

Over the years, my fear has waned and today it rests at about ten percent of what it used to be. Near San Jose, there are lovely mountains overlooking the city.  Pico Blanco, the highest of these peaks, is a common destination for teams visiting La Palabra de Vida.  I'm happy to say that we climbed to the top two years ago, and I had little trouble navigating some parts of the path that did pose danger.  Two of my children, Bradley and Kristin, accompanied me, along with about twenty others. Danielle, my youngest daughter, twisted her ankle, and was sorely disappointed at the missed opportunity.

This year, we prayed away injuries, and we all made the trek to the top of the 6700' peak in record time...well, for us, anyway.  The younger ones in my family and some teachers from the school led the way, and I lagged a little behind, as my leg strength waned quickly during parts of the climb.  Along the way, I decided that I would not burden my children with assuming they should be petrified of heights also, and this picture is a result.  They do not possess a fear of height, and they decided that the danger to climb to the top of this little craggy outcrop was not great.  They were right.  You will notice, however, that I am nowhere to be found in this photograph.

Matt Befus, the director of the La Palabra de Vida foundation, led us in three devotionals during our journey, and each one praised God for the magnificence of his creation, is care and concern for his children, and his lovingkindness when we are at our worst.

I would only add this.  Acknowledging that you have a fear is the beginning to overcoming it.       Like many of you, I suspect, I feared leaving the United States with my family for several weeks, I feared using a large portion of our savings for the Lord's work, and I feared not having a job for over a month.  I confessed those fears to the Lord, and He has guided and directed my path and the path of my family each time we have trusted Him.  This year, we have trusted Him more than ever, and our time has been well spent.  Surprise, surprise. :)

Have a wonderful Lord's day!  Bill


No comments:

Post a Comment