Saturday, December 14, 2013

My family at TacoBar, Jaco Beach, Costa Rica.  Great swings for seats
My family is pretty cool.  Much more so than me.  They love to work for God and they like to play a little bit too.  They're not scared to try new things or live outside the country.  They eat the local food, drink the local water, and enjoy the scenery.  They're always looking for a new adventure for Christ, be it in Costa Rica, Texas, Minnesota, Mexico, or Illinois.  I'm proud of my family, it gives me great pleasure to spend time with them in this place.  We love coming here, we love working with our school, learning more about the language and the Costa Rican people, praying for the lost, and helping those in need.

When we take short vacations during our time in Costa Rica, sometimes we shut down a little bit.  It's human nature.  And that's why I'm writing this today.  Let me tell you what happened.

Before we snapped this photo, we took to the ziplines at Jaco Canopy Tour where our guide was Patrick.  Patrick was a long-time expat who makes his home in Jaco.  He inquired of our comings and goings in Costa Rica, and we explained what we do.  Patrick then told us of his faith in Christ, and mentioned that he attended Horizon Church.  As part of his life, he served homeless people in Jaco on Friday nights.  I looked at our bearded, heavily tattooed guide, and thanked God that there were people like him.  Because even in what Americans call paradise, there are the hurting, the lonely, the homeless, the addicted, and the suffering.

Following our short zipline tour, we stopped for lunch at a famous local place called TacoBar.  The kids enjoyed the swings, while Vickie and I did not.  As we ate, an aging woman, toothless and limping, came into the restaurant asking for money.  The woman appeared to have cognitive issues and had trouble talking.  She carried her possessions in two plastic bags from the local grocery store.

Here's the thing.  I'm not sure whether she needed money, food, clothes, a bed, or a hug.  I'm not sure whether she had an empty purse or a handful of twenties.  I am sure of this, however.  She needed Jesus Christ in her life.

And I'm glad there are Christ-followers like Patrick, who instead of partying away Fridays in paradise, look out for the least of these.

Lord, help us always be vigilant to those in need, whether we're in church, at home, on the street, or in a restaurant.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great picture of your family. Lots of Love - me

    ReplyDelete