Monday, August 6, 2012

Monday in God's word


Psalm 119:129-136

Every word you give me is a miracle word, how could I help but obey?
Break open your word, let the light shine out, let ordinary people see the meaning.
Mouth open and panting, I wanted your commands more than anything.
Turn my way, look kindly on me, as you always do to those who personally love you.
Steady my steps with your Word of promise, so nothing malign gets the better of me.
Rescue me from the grip of bad men and women, so I can live life your way.
Smile on me, your servant; teach me the right way to live.
I cry rivers of tears because nobody's living by your book! 

I love the Psalms.  It's David's cry to his Lord, raw and revealing, heartfelt and hurting at times.  In Psalm 119, these eight verses give a glimpse into David's prayers and his desires for his own life.  It's beautiful and very useful to us.  Let's look at it together.

What does he ask of God?

Break open, or reveal, your word to me.
Turn my way.
Look kindly on me.
Steady my steps.
Rescue me
Smile on me.
Teach me.

What does David ask for?

To understand the meaning of God's word.
To let nothing bad get hold of him.
To teach him how to live.

The God of the Old Testament is the Jesus of the New Testament.  He reveals himself, he cares for us, he rights us, he pulls us out of trouble, he smiles and laughs with us, and he teaches us.  All we have to do is ask.

It should be our heart's desire to know God's word, to consume it, to ask God to let nothing stand in the way of our growth in the Word, and then that His word would shine clearly in our lives.

Having said that, the closer we come to God, the more our heart should break for those who do not know him.  David cries rivers of tears for the lost.  Our response should be similar.  We have no need to hate the sinner, but to embrace and carry them along the way.

That must be our prayer.  Have a great week,everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment