Friday, August 3, 2012

Friday in God's word


James 1: 22-23:  Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror, and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.

The most revealing moment on this side of heaven, is each morning when we look in the mirror.  The mirror does not hide our imperfections, lighted mirrors or well lit rooms will even emphasize the things that we may not like about the way we look.  There may be blemishes on our skin or features on our face for which we do not care.  Good news?  As believers in Jesus Christ, we know that he does NOT judge us by our imperfections, but only by our righteousness that comes solely from His work on the cross for us.

If we read the Bible, and fail to notice our imperfections, how we are NOT like Jesus, then it is a fruitless pursuit.  Yes, the Bible is meant to inspire and encourage us, to lead us and give us hope, but as James tells us, unless we take God’s word deep inside of us and let it purge out those things than need to be purged, then it has little lasting value.

So do this.   Get up tomorrow morning and say this to yourself in the mirror (go ahead, you can talk to yourself, it’s OK, I do it all the time), "I look just as Jesus intended me to look, and HE loves me that way.  But I know that God also loves me too much to LEAVE me like I am.  When I read my Bible today, i will see how much I match up to His command, and I will pray that I will become more like Jesus each day."

No comments:

Post a Comment