Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The coldness of competence - disdain for the lacking

There's only a handful of books I've read twice in my lifetime, and none in recent memory...until now.  Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer, is a superbly written, fascinating account of the disastrous collection of 1996 Mount Everest climbing expeditions that resulted in fifteen deaths and several climbers with permanent, debilitating injuries.  Karkauer brilliantly captures the gut-wrenching exhaustion that comes from attempting to reach a goal that literally defies death, and the personal heroics of several teams that were at Everest that year when plans and people began to unravel.

I picked up an original hardcover edition at the La Palabra de Vida library and read the entire volume quickly.  This time, near the end of the book, in a section, I'm sure that I glossed over during my previous read, I came upon a phrase used by the author, that so aptly describes so much of human life, that I had to study and re-read it over and over. 

Krakauer describes the elite fraternity of world-class climbers in this way, "They can be deeply moved, in fact maudlin, but only for worthy martyred ex-comrades.  A certain coldness, strikingly similar in tone, emerges from the writings of other elite climbers:  a coldness of competence."

I like the term.  It summarizes the feelings that, on occasion, have been expressed to me in many walks of life, and the feelings that, on occasion, I've displayed to others.  I like the term, but I do not like the implications.

In professions inhabited by the elite, in work that is absolutely vital to the health and welfare of others, the coldness of competence is crucial.  There is no occasion in a nuclear power plant control room that those responsible for safety would tolerate an outsider, with no knowledge of plant operations to come and operate the critical controls of the plant.  There is no airline pilot alive that would let a child take the controls.  And there is no elite mountain climber that would let a novice rig his gear.

The coldness displayed is appropriate for the risk involved.

Churches do not, and should not display the coldness of competence, but all too often, those who walk through the doors for the first time, receive this message loud and clear.

Ignorance of liturgy leads to pointing and stares and exclusion.  Differences of opinion on confusing scriptures can result in censure and dismissal.  Expressing a political opinion different from the majority stimulates the most hatred and disdain.  If you don't believe me, go to a church who is the polar opposite of yours and see how you are received when you spout your opinions.

Many I've asked about this say or at least imply, "I'm right and you're wrong, I'm competent and you're  not."

All of these are the culture of competence, and the coldness of interpersonal relations.  When we grow up in a church system, we grow used to the things we're supposed to do, feel, and think.  We, the members, promise to welcome all...with our words.  But the coldness of  "we know how things work here, and you don't," is transmitted as a crisp signal, once you get past those who volunteer to welcome.

Rarely do members break up their chats with their friends, to learn about those coming through the door for the first time, especially if they are poorer, more awkward, or different in color.

There's something wrong with a large number of American churches.  I've experienced it, and I'm sure some of you have too.  What can we change?  That may not be the question.  The right question may be - How can we bypass the established church to reach those who do not know Him?

The established church can continue to fulfill the role of educating believers, providing a place to worship, and blessing the least of these...at a safe distance.

There has to be more.  I'm searching.

No comments:

Post a Comment