Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Generous Life by Vince Miller

I read a little book by Vince Miller called the Generous Life a few weeks ago. Vince has always been one of my favorite speakers and was a frequent guest speaker at Five Oaks when we attended there. I could describe the contents of this book for you, but it would be better if you read it yourself. Here's what I learned...

- As a believer in Jesus, I must stop thinking of giving as an obligation, but rather as a passion.

- I must not box God in by placing imagined or mandatory limits on giving.

- I must pray for opportunities to bless others who don't have much, and then follow through when those opportunities arise.

- I must take risks with money that I've never been taught in church. These include giving beyond what biblical money management professionals recommend. If I remain stuck in the rut of mandatory percentages of giving and saving, I will never experience the generous life.

In Costa Rica and in Illinois this past year, we have begun to exercise these principles. I have resisted, felt stressed, made excuses, but I have begun to see God soften my heart in many ways.

I hope that one day I will feel comfortable truly denying myself a basic need to serve someone who has nothing. Maybe in just a tiny way I will become more like Jesus instead of just reading about His love for others.

If you would like to know more about what this book and others, and a lot of prayer have done for our family, drop me a note at williamdmarkham@gmail.com. I'd love to talk with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment